Question:
Can you recommend a reasonably priced restaurant/cafe/bistro in Union Square (San Francisco).?
2007-07-08 21:41:50 UTC
Reasonable means entree $10-15. Dessert, drink not included. Please feel free to discuss prices. The type of restaurant can be any kind (as long as the food is not excessively spicy or really bad).
Ten answers:
2007-07-09 10:26:43 UTC
Hello Bruce-

It's hard to get a cheese burger for $10-$15 in San Francisco, so you've got a lot of people stumped! I have a few ideas for you, that should be very close to your price range, and a couple that are *under* it! I'm not sure if you live there or are just visiting, so forgive me if I go overboard with details. Here goes:

Mocca

175 Maiden Lane

San Francisco, CA 94108

(415) 956-1188

Maiden Lane is immediately off of Union Square, and Mocca is between Grant Ave. and Stockton St., just steps from the Square. It's a small Italian deli/cafe with a pseudo european vibe. It's a great place to people watch while enjoying a salad or sandwich. Traffic is blocked between 11 and 4 or 5, so that umbrella covered tables can be set out for the lunch crowd. Bring a sweater in case you get the famous SF summertime fog, as the cafe itself is small, and it's fairly hard to get an inside table, especially if you go at peak lunch hours (which I suggest you avoid- go at 11:30 or 1). The food is high quality, european-style, simple and delicious. Don't be scared off by the line out the door, it goes very quickly.

Here are some of their best dishes, based the opinions of myself and my friends: fresh tomato-basil-buffalo mozzarella appetizer, tri-tip steak sandwich (they are famous for this), prawn and tortellini salad, turkey & brie sandwich, antipasti salads, dolmas, seafood salads, panini and salade niçoise. They have a large variety to choose from for vegetarians, and their ingredients are always fresh. You can definitely get an entree and probably a side (depending on the entree) in your price range. If I remember correctly, the drinks and desserts are pretty expensive, so stick with water and get a treat at one of the many sweet shops on the Square, and you'll be great.

The biggest drawback to Mocca's is that they DO NOT take credit cards- yep, you read it right! In 2007, there are still places out there that don't take cc's. This place is still run by the same old Italian family that's been running it forever, and I'm guessing they don't like change (no pun intended). CASH ONLY!!!! I think there's an ATM across the street (on Union Square).

*As an aside, if you're interested in architecture, 140 Maiden Lane (in the next block down from Mocca) is the only Frank Lloyd Wright building in San Francisco. Supposedly it was his model for the Guggenheim in NYC. Currently it houses Xanadu Tribal Arts, a gallery showcasing Baltic, Latin-American and African folk art- very interesting.

Citizen Cupcake

2 Stockton St., 3rd floor

San Francisco, CA 94108

(415) 399-1565

http://www.citizencupcake.com

This little gem is an offshoot of an insane pastry shop called Citizen Cake in Hayes Valley (SF neighborhood). It's located on the 3rd floor of the Virgin Megastore. You will find Elizabeth Falkner's award-winning pastries, plus a selection of sandwiches, salads, cheese courses, specialty chocolates and coffee drinks. The prices are amazing, I don't think there's anything over $8 on the lunch (savory) menu, which leaves you enough left over for something chocolate. I was going to try to recommend something, but it's too hard to choose. Try something with her A-mazing chocolate ganache in it- uber yummy!! Cupcake is only a block and a half off the Square.

lunch menu

http://www.citizencupcake.com/menu_savory.pdf

E&O Trading Company

314 Sutter St. (near Grant)

San Francisco, CA 94108

(415) 693-0303

http://www.eotrading.com

This southeast Asian grill melds Vietnamese, Thai, Cambodian and Indian, among other cuisines in an upbeat, fun atmosphere. I love E&O, it has wonderful food, very unique Asian fusion like nothing I've had before. I've usually gone with a group, and we share several dishes, and the bill has always been quite reasonable when split amongst us. The SF Chronicle gave them $$ for a price rating, which means $11 to $17 per person. They are just a block off of Union Square.

The Cellar at Macy's

170 O'Farrell Street

San Francisco, CA 94102

(415) 397-3333

This is a very swanky food court on Macy's basement level, but much, MUCH better than the usual. With the likes of Wolfgang Pucks, Boudin, a real sushi bar, Ben & Jerry's, a patisserie, a fancy schmancy deli and much more, you'll have quite a selection, and can easily stay within your budget. Like every place I've told you about, it's usually very crowded at the peak lunch hour. Try to avoid it then.

The Cheesecake Factory

251 Geary St., 8th Floor

San Francisco, CA 94102

(415) 391-4444

http://www.thecheesecakefactory.com

Find the Cheesecake Factory on the top level of the Macy's building, with great views of Union Square, especially if you sit out on the patio (which has heaters in case it's foggy and cold!). I don't like to travel to a new place and eat at a chain restaurant, but you might. This one is on Union Square and meets your budgetary requirements. The architecture/decor of this one is nicer than most others I've been to in the chain, and the service is great. It's a little hard to find, you have to go in Macy's and take an elevator up to the 7th or 8th floor (there will be a sign in the elevator) and then get off and take an escalator up one more floor. I recently took my nephews after a Giants game, and they loved it!

Don't let the different address from The Macy's Cellar confuse you- they are in the same building. One uses one door as their mailing address and the other uses another door.

Rotunda at Neiman Marcus

150 Stockton St., 4th floor

San Francisco, CA 94108

(415) 362-4777

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/info/restaurant.jhtml?rest=200010

This place is famous for its window-lined round room and terrific views, plus the incredible stained glass skylights that make Neiman Marcus (or Needless Mark-ups, as I like to call it) famous. They serve contemporary American cuisine, some of which will fit your budget, and more that won't. Whatever you order, you're served complimentary hot chicken consommé and ambrosial popovers with strawberry butter. Probably my last choice of all of these, but you might pop in for a view of the beautiful windows and a peak at the menu.

Last but not least, here's what I would do- hop on a bus (or catch a cab) and go down to the Ferry Building Marketplace.

Ferry Building Marketplace

One Ferry Building

San Francisco, California 94111

(415) 693-0996

info@ferrybuildingmarketplace.com

http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com

This is an amazing marketplace on an old refurbished pier, with great shops, restaurants (3 or 4), cafes (at least 7), coffee and tea shops, produce stands, fresh seafood stands (clam chowda- yum!), artisan cheese shops, delis, specialty grocery shops, chocolatiers, patisseries, bakeries, gelato and ice cream shops. There's a fabulous farmers market on Tuesdays and Saturdays, if that's when you happen to be there, even better!

I like to go and get a little bit here and a little bit there and build a picnic. There is plenty of lovely outdoor seating with the most incredible views of the Bay and the bridge. The bread at Acme is great and super fresh, and the cheese at Cowgirl Creamery is to die for. Find some protein at a deli and some produce at one of the farm stands and you're set! Make sure you try a handmade coconut marshmallow at Recchiutis- OMG! Try anything at Miette Patisserie, 2xOMG!

To get there from Union Sq., take muni bus #21 from the corner of Market & 4th Sts. (a block off the Square, cost is $1.50, get a transfer and you can ride back for free I think). Get off at Steuart & Mission Sts. near the Hyatt Regency Hotel and cross The Embarcadero (shortcut over a grassy ridge) to the FBM (can't miss it, huge building with a tall clock tower on a pier, close to the Bay Bridge) It's just over a mile from the outer edge of Union Sq. to the FBM, so depending on how many are in your group, you may be better off hailing a cab. It's a straight shot down Market St. Have them let you out at Mission and Steuart or they will drive onto The Embarcadero where the traffic is heinous and charge you to sit there when you are a 2 minute walk from the place!! Not that cabbies aren't all honest or anything, I'm just sayin'....

If you have to drive to Union Sq. from wherever you are staying, if possible, don't park in the Union Sq. Garage (the underground one in the center of the square). If you have to, remember to pay at the cashiers booth before you leave, otherwise you're in for a HUGE hassle! Also NO one validates parking for that garage. There are other garages a block or two in every direction all around, and they are (almost) all much cheaper. The Sutter-Stockton garage is close and convenient, and I'm fairly certain it's cheaper- but don't quote me on that. If you can, take a cable car to US from wherever you are staying. It's cheap and drops you off right there!

I hope you have a great trip to SF, or at least a great lunch if you already live there!

peas out

2007-07-11 04:04:02 UTC
I have lived in the area just above Union Square for 25 years, and I have to agree with answer #3 from Violette Blue. She gave you the best selection of restaurants to try, plus great additional advice on parking, getting around on Muni and cabbies, etc. I also happen to agree that the Ferry Building Marketplace is an outstanding option- I didn't think of it, but I think it's a great idea and it is very close.

I also have to disagree with the person who said that yahoo has a policy against posting links. That is what the "SOURCE" box is for, but posting in the body of your answer is also acceptable I believe. If anyone knows otherwise, please post.

Have a great trip to San Francisco!
BayAreaCritic.com
2007-07-12 16:52:44 UTC
As the Bay Area Critic, I'd like to recommend a restaurant that one of my critic's club member reviewed.

Restaurant Name - Kearny Street Hand-Held Pies

Address - 307 Kearny Strret

Cross Street - Bush St. and Pine St.

City - San Francisco

Phone - 415.772.9072

You can check out the review by going to the source listed below. www.bayareacritic.com/kearnystreetpies.html
Buzzy
2007-07-12 15:33:15 UTC
Max's Deli
TEST E
2007-07-11 17:44:57 UTC
Lefty O'Douls?
cng
2007-07-11 08:55:30 UTC
I agree with 2341 Cheesecake Factory has awewsome pasta dishes. Food is great!!!!
Hiroshi
2007-07-11 00:51:29 UTC
Cheesecake factory.... ur date will love it, the price is 10-15 dollars.... you'll walk out with a big smile !
.
2007-07-09 21:19:57 UTC
The Daily Grill
2341
2007-07-09 10:01:16 UTC
cheesecake factory
Fogjazz49-Retired
2007-07-08 23:16:11 UTC
Hmmm.... well, that price range really limits you in the Union Square area. You're in a neighborhood where all the better bistros price their dinner entrees in the $20-$30 range (this is the most expensive region in the city for commercial leases).

Here are a few less pricey possibilities:

1. Cafe Claude. Little French bistro on Claude Alley near the French Embassy. Kind of a hidden local treasure, tourists don't find it very often (be sure to find it on their map link before you start walking!). Less pricey than most with comparable cuisine and ambience, probably because of its low-rent location. Price range for good entrees at dinner is more in the $15-$22 range, but try it for lunch or a really nice dinner treat. Lunch entrees range from $8 to $15. They feature live jazz at night on weekends. http://www.cafeclaude.com/

Also in this San Francisco "French Quarter" area are: Cafe de la Presse, directly kitty-corner from the French Embassy, for a very nice lunch menu in your price range; Cafe Metropol around the corner on Sutter; and several of the little French bistro places on Belden Alley. http://www.belden-place.com/view/directions

2. Max's. Americanized Jewish deli, but you get very large portions of good quality food, with many dishes within your price range. There are several locations of this local, family-owned group led by its anchor Max's Opera Cafe (near the Opera House, and the waiters sing), but to be near Union Square you want Max's on the Square at 398 Geary. Huge slices of real New York cheesecake to die for, so don't waste your time at the tourist-infested, overpriced, and packed wall-to-wall Cheesecake Factory. http://www.maxsworld.com/maxs/index.php

3. Banana Hut. Thai place on 329 Kearny, near Bush. A bit of a dive, but the food is all right, and it is a place where you can really fill up within your price range if you get good and hungry.

4. L'Ottavo Ristorante. Little neighborhood Italian bistro on 692 Sutter Street, near Taylor, a hidden gem that serves consistently good food in a lovely quiet and relaxed environment. Some of the pasta dishes are in your price range, but the meat and seafood dishes can be more like $15-$20. http://sf.ruggedelegance.com/places/656.html

5. Caffe Espresso in the Sir Francis Drake Hotel, at 462 Powell Street (cross-street is Sutter). It's not full table service, you order at the counter and then grab a seat. Small, and it can be packed with tourists, but the food is pretty good, and an entree with salad can be had for about $10. The kitchen is the same one that serves Scala Bistro next door, a much pricier place. http://www.caffeespresso.com/

6. The Food Court in the Westfield Shopping Center. NOT a typical shopping mall food court, some of the best restaurants in town have cafes here. Try, for example, Out the Door, owned and operated by Slanted Door, one of the best Vietnamese/fusion restaurants in town. Again, you don't get full table service, you order at a counter and go sit and wait for your food, but you can get good entrees all over the place for $10. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/12/03/PKGMQKFN8J1.DTL&feed=rss.entertainment

7. Chinatown. Try the Far East Cafe on Grant, the place where all of my Chinese friends eat.

8. Caffe Museo in SFMOMA. Similar to Caffe Espresso, but of course with very modern decor and ambience to fit the museum! This is a great place to get a big hearty bowl of soup and a cappucino on a chilly day.

Good luck.